FAQ - Content Management
1. How can I update my own web site?
There are essentially three methods of updating your web site:
Engage a web developer to maintain your content
- You will not need to know anything about web development to update your site
- Assuming you have selected a reputable web developer, code will be standards-complian
- You may not be able to update your site in a timely fashion
- Ongoing costs of maintaining your site may be prohibitive
Engage a web content management firm or host your site in a web content management system
- You will be able to update your site as an when required
- Assuming you have selected an appropriate content management system, your web site will be standards-compliant
- The data that comprises your site may be backed up and safe
- Depending on the provider, you might be able to update your site from anywhere on the internet.
- You may be liable for prohibative ongoing costs (depending on the provider)
- Your site may be inflexible- i.e. you may not be able to add new pages or introduce other new material easily
Enable your site for Macromedia Contribute and use the appropriate software to maintain your content.
- For a 'one time only' cost (excluding updates) you may maintain your own website at any time, from your own computer at any time.
- Contribute can maintain 'rollback' versions of pages at the server.
- You have complete control over web site content, without jeopardising your template on any page.
- May be more cost effective than a full Content Management System
- No ongoing fees associated with Content Management System
- You may add new pages to your site at will
- Data may not be fully managed (i.e. backed up), depending on hosting provider
- Requires special software installed to update your web site
- Small initial cost of client software
2. What are the advantages of self-managed content?
If you self-manage your own content, you can update your website at any time, from the comfort of your own computer.
Imagine being able to add products to your web site, or produce your own web based newsletter without having to pay recurring fees
Important information can quickly and easily be included on your web site as and when the need arises.
3. Is there any special software I need to manage my own content?
Assuming you have chosen the 'Contribute Enabled' option, then yes... you will need Macromedia Contribute to update your site. But... you will recover the cost of this software in about 4 hours developer time, so if you plan to keep your site up to date, this can represent a considerable saving.
If you have chosen the 'Content Management System' route, then you might be able to update your content from any web browser.
4. Are there any ongoing costs associated with self-managed web site content?
If you choose the Macromedia Contribute method, then no... there are no ongoing costs (apart from web/domain hosting) in updating your site. Macromedia may, from time to time, update their software, but the decision is up to you regarding whether you upgrade your software or not.
If you choose the 'Content Management System' method, then most probably there will be ongoing costs associated with managing your own content, depending on the provider.